GEICO Pace Groups
“The GEICO Pace Groups at the Baltimore Marathon take pacing to a whole new level…They are among the best pace groups in the country.”
-Bart Yasso is the Chief Running Officer at Runner's World
FOLLOW THE GEICO PACERS ON FACEBOOK
The Baltimore Running Festival is pleased to announce that GEICO will be returning as the official sponsor for the 2013 Baltimore Marathon Pace Groups on 10/12/13. This will be the 12-year anniversary of Pace Groups at the Baltimore Marathon! Last year, over 800 participants signed up for the Pace Groups. A huge thanks is extended to the 2012 Baltimore Pacers seen above!
The GEICO Pace Groups will help you not only achieve your goals, but have FUN, whether the goal is a personal record, Boston qualifier, or simply to cross the finish line! Our GEICO Pacers are extremely experienced runners, chosen based upon their previous running and/or pacing performances and know what it takes to hold a steady pace and give you a great marathon experience - dynamic and personable, and dedicated to making sure you have a great time on the course!
CLICK HERE TO MEET THE PACERS:
Pacer Bios for the 2012 Under Armour Baltimore Marathon
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE PACE PLAN OF EACH GROUP
Important Highlights about GEICO Pace Groups:
- Participation is free to all participants who sign up at the pre-race expo booth on 10/10-10/11/13. Registration includes completing a release of liability waiver and in return you will be given a pace bib to wear on your back to help identify you to your pacers and group. In addition, you will be given a temporary pace band (while supplies last) to wear on your forearm which will alert you of your specific mile goals. THERE WILL BE NO MARATHON DAY SIGN UP FOR PACE GROUPS.
- We will have GEICO Pace Groups for the following marathon times: 3:00, 3:10, 3:20, 3:30, 3:40, 3:50, 4:00, 4:15, 4:30, 4:45, 5:00, and 5:15.
- Unfortunately, we will not have GEICO Pace Groups for the Half Marathon
- The goal is that GEICO Pacers will be running "even splits," which means that every mile will be run at approximately the same pace. Exceptions to this will be in the beginning due to the bottleneck at the start and on the miles which may be slightly hilly. Most of the GEICO Pace Groups will not be walking during the marathon. (Traditionally, the pace groups from 4:00 and slower will be walking during fluid stations and specifically the 4:45 pace group will have pacers who run the marathon and pacers who do a run-walk modified version of the marathon for that pace.)
- There will not be a Meet the Pacers Clinic this year during the Expo. However, if you would like to meet your pace group, feel free to come to the booth between 4:00 and 4:30 p.m. on Friday 10/12/12. There will be handouts at our expo booth for final marathon preparation pointers.
- To meet up with the GEICO Pace Groups on marathon day, look for them at the start, holding up large signs with the pace group finishing times printed on them, and wearing BLACK GEICO Pace Group shirts with Red GEICO Hats. Try to meet up with your group twenty minutes before the start (7:40 a.m.).
- Five or ten minutes before the start, your GEICO Pacers will give their "final instructions". This will include any adjustments being made to the pace due to course conditions, as well as your GEICO Pacers’ method of meeting back up and keeping the group together at the fluid stations. This is another great opportunity for you to ask any questions you may have!
- Fluid station philosophy, regarding whether the GEICO Pace Group will walk or run through it, is up to the Pacer(s). Each GEICO Pace Group will let their team know their strategy for getting back together after a water stop. Traditionally, the pace groups from 4:00 and slower will be walking during fluid stations. Be sure to check with your GEICO Pacer at the expo booth or prior to the race if this is extremely important to you.
- We want you to run your own race. If you feel great on race day, and you want to go ahead to catch the next team, we'll cheer you on. If it's just not your day, slow down and wait for the next Pace Group behind to catch you. And if you want to just fall in and match strides with your GEICO Pacer, we sure will appreciate the company!
- If you have any questions, please feel free to post them on the GEICO Pace Group Facebook page. This will allow others to share the questions and answers. Or you may e-mail the Pace Group Organizer at firstname.lastname@example.org
CHECK OUT THIS QUICK COURSE DESCRIPTION