The half-marathon start line is a party on the shores of Baltimore’s famed Inner Harbor, the 13-mile mark of the marathon. Complete with a live band and 10,000 of your new best friends, this unique set up allows for the fastest marathoners and those attempting to qualify for Boston to pass and assures that the marathon champion will be the first to cross the finish line for the LIVE television coverage on WBAL-TV. The half-marathon will run its own course for the first 3 miles and merge with marathon at Patterson Park. From that point, marathoners and half-marathon participants will run the same course to the finish line in Baltimore’s famed and iconic Inner Harbor!
1) Participants in the Half-Marathon must be at least 14 years old
2) Participants must be able to complete the course in 5 hours (22:54 min/mile pace)
What Past Participants Have Said
I particularly like the location of the course and the crowd support. I food and aid stations along with way definitely receives an A+. I have been sharing this opportunity with so many friends and family members.
Overall, well done and organized… a good challenge. The crab medal is the perfect! The energy from the locals and fellow runners was amazing! Thank you for organizing!
My 60th race and this was a great half marathon course - good crowd support, excellent mix of neighborhoods, right portion of hills.
I enjoyed running in the BRF Half Marathon. It was wonderful having so many Baltimore spectators cheer you on as you ran through their neighborhoods. 10 times better than [another Half Marathon in the region]. I plan on running the BRF Marathon next year.
I very much enjoyed the post-race celebration village. The village was the cherry on top of the tremendous support we, as runners, received from the Baltimore community and its first responders. Kudos to all.
2019 Course Map
Minor route changes may still occur up until race day.
UPDATED Aug. 13, 2018- no course major changes expected
Walkers: Walkers are welcome to participate in the CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield Half-Marathon. Please be advised of the following:
- Walkers will start at the back of the field in wave 5. If you plan to walk but have not been assigned to this wave, please start here anyway.
- Walkers must complete the half marathon course in the 5-hour time limit (22:54 min/mile pace). Any walker who does not keep this maximum pace throughout the race will have the option of 1) getting on the SAG vehicle to return to the Inner Harbor or 2) or finishing the course off the road and on the sidewalks as a pedestrian.
- As a courtesy to runner participants, we ask that walkers not be more than two abreast so runners can easily pass.
Wave Start: In order to maintain a comfortable and safe race experience for all participants, the CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield Half Marathon uses a wave start. Bib numbers will be issued based on expected finish time and will correspond to the holding pen you have been assigned. There will be five (5) holding pens and we ask that all participants adhere to this policy and start with their assigned wave. Please keep in mind that with the B-Tag system, your time will not start until you cross the start line.
Charity Groups: The Baltimore Running Festival welcomes charity groups to utilize the event to fund raise and raise awareness of their cause. For more information on charity groups and the requirements involved, visit our Run for a Cause page or email [email protected].
Participants are strongly encouraged to securely store and share personal medical history in case of emergency for any race using RaceSafe. We encourage all runners, especially those who have a previous medical history to log on and complete the form. RaceSafe is secure, private, and takes less than 5 minutes. For your health and safety, please share your information by visiting the link below. RaceSafe respects your privacy and is committed to maintaining your confidentiality.
Runners participating in the CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield Half-Marathon will receive the following:
- Under Armour performance shirt (men’s and women’s styles available) For an Under Armour Size Chart, click here.
- Free race photos courtesy of CareFirst BlueCross Blue Shield [learn more]
- Collectible Crack the Crab finisher medal with unique opening shell design
- Free race & expo parking in select M&T Bank Stadium lots (other paid lots also available during race weekend)
Course Amenities include:
- Baggage check at the Inner Harbor near the Baltimore Visitor Center
- Mile Marker sign at each mile
- Clocks at various splits on the course
- Fluid stations on the course (water and Gatorade)
- Fruit, pretzels, potato chips, energy gel and other snacks (1 location on course)
- Toilets at start/finish and various points on the course
2019 Half-Marathon Premiums
Packet Pick Up
All runners are required to pick up their packets at the Health & Fitness Expo on Thursday or Friday prior to race day. The expo is located at the Baltimore Convention Center. For more details, click here.
THERE IS NO RACE DAY PACKET PICK UP. Please plan accordingly.
The event will continue to utilize the best timing technology available. The B-tag technology offers runners a streamlined race experience with timing tags attached to participant bib. This method eliminates the need to scan your chip at the expo or to return the chip following the race, which means no more sitting down to undo your shoe lace just after your run and you no longer have to worry about a charge for a lost chip.
Tips to have your time accurately recorded:
- Race bib is clearly visible on the front of the torso
- Race bib is unaltered and unmodified (do not fold or wrinkle)
- Race bib is pinned in all four corners
- Race bib is not covered (jackets, runner belts, water bottles, etc.)
This year MedStar Sports Health will provide medical support on the course and in the finish line area. The MedStar staff will include certified doctors, registered nurses, physician assistants and EMTs and will provide the necessary medical attention to any patient in need. We are grateful to have MedStar Sports Health associated with the event.
Gatorade Endurance Formula (Lemon-Lime flavor) will be served at each aid station along the course of this year’s race. Gatorade Endurance Formula is a specialized sports drink that contains approximately twice the amount of sodium (200 mg per 8 ounces) of Gatorade Thirst Quencher, along with chloride, potassium, magnesium and calcium to help sustain hydration by more fully replacing what is lost in sweat. Gatorade Endurance Formula also contains a 6% carbohydrate solution (14 grams per 8 ounces), just like Gatorade Thirst Quencher, which research shows is optimal to help speed fluid back into the body and fuel working muscles. Gatorade Endurance Formula is available in 34 ounce and 24 ounce sport bottles at major grocery and convenience stores nationwide, and Gatorade Endurance Formula powder is available at specialty athletic stores and at www.gatorade.com/endurance.
Overall Winners: Trophies will be awarded to the overall male and female finishers as well as to the and the second and third place finisher.
Awards Ceremony: The Awards Ceremony will take place at the Main Stage in West Shore Park at 12:00pm. Only the Overall Winners from the full marathon, half marathon, team relay, and Balti-Moron will be awarded at the ceremony. Age group awards will be mailed. (5K Awards Ceremony will be at 9:00am).
Age Groups Prizes: Prizes go to the top three male and female age group finishers for the half-marathon in each of the following divisions: 16 and under, 17-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70 – 74, 75+.
Age group awards are mailed in November after race results are declared official.
NO DUPLICATION OF AWARDS
2018 Age Group Awards
Age Group Awards are engraved key chains.