The 2020 race will be run virtually. However when we return, this is what you can expect when running the CareFirst BlueCross Blue Shield Half-Marathon:
The half-marathon start line is a party on the shores of Baltimore’s famed Inner Harbor, the 13-mile mark of the marathon. Complete with a live band and 10,000 of your new best friends, this unique set up allows for the fastest marathoners and those attempting to qualify for Boston to pass and assures that the marathon champion will be the first to cross the finish line for the LIVE television coverage on WBAL-TV. The half-marathon will run its own course for the first 3 miles and merge with marathon at Patterson Park. From that point, marathoners and half-marathon participants will run the same course to the finish line in Baltimore’s famed and iconic Inner Harbor!
1) Participants in the Half-Marathon must be at least 14 years old
2) Participants must be able to complete the course in 5 hours (22:54 min/mile pace)
We are so excited to be able to share this AMAZING medal with you! All finishers will earn our famous “Crack the Crab” medal with special inner and outer messages to inspire you during this trying year.
The outer shell challenges you to RUN as well as to BMORE.
The inner shell revels our Charm City Toughness and reminds us that do not face our struggles alone.
Runners participating in the 2020 virtual CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield Half-Marathon will receive the following:
- Participate virtually by running your distance and on your own course at your pace on your preferred date in accordance with your local or state social distancing guidelines.
- We’ll ship virtual participants their Under Armour shirt and race medal prior to Oct. 17, 2020 (no additional charge; USPS tracking # to be provided)
- Opportunity to upload race times & participate in an online virtual experience that only Corrigan Sports can deliver.
- Engage in social media promotions such as photo contests and trivia
- Additional random prizes will be included in mailings such as free or discounted 2021 race entries and merchandise.
- Priority Registration and a 15% Discount off your 2021 Race Entry
Once we return to a live event in 2021, runners participating in the CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield Half-Marathon can expect:
- Under Armour performance shirt (men’s and women’s styles available) For an Under Armour Size Chart, click here.
- Free race photos courtesy of CareFirst BlueCross Blue Shield [learn more]
- Collectible Crack the Crab finisher medal with unique opening shell design
- Free race & expo parking in select M&T Bank Stadium lots (other paid lots also available during race weekend)
Course Amenities include:
- Baggage check at the Inner Harbor near the Baltimore Visitor Center
- Mile Marker sign at each mile
- Clocks at various splits on the course
- Fluid stations on the course (water and Gatorade)
- Fruit, pretzels, potato chips, energy gel and other snacks (1 location on course)
- Toilets at start/finish and various points on the course
What Past Participants Have Said
I particularly like the location of the course and the crowd support. I food and aid stations along with way definitely receives an A+. I have been sharing this opportunity with so many friends and family members.
Overall, well done and organized… a good challenge. The crab medal is the perfect! The energy from the locals and fellow runners was amazing! Thank you for organizing!
My 60th race and this was a great half marathon course - good crowd support, excellent mix of neighborhoods, right portion of hills.
I enjoyed running in the BRF Half Marathon. It was wonderful having so many Baltimore spectators cheer you on as you ran through their neighborhoods. 10 times better than [another Half Marathon in the region]. I plan on running the BRF Marathon next year.
I very much enjoyed the post-race celebration village. The village was the cherry on top of the tremendous support we, as runners, received from the Baltimore community and its first responders. Kudos to all.
Live Event Course Map
This year, the race will be run virtually on the course of your choice. As we approach race day, we will provide some tips on creating your own race route. Once we return to a live event in 2021, here is what you can expect:
Minor route changes may still occur up until race day.
Walkers: Walkers are welcome to participate in the CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield Half-Marathon. Please be advised of the following:
- Walkers will start at the back of the field in wave 5. If you plan to walk but have not been assigned to this wave, please start here anyway.
- Walkers must complete the half marathon course in the 5-hour time limit (22:54 min/mile pace). Any walker who does not keep this maximum pace throughout the race will have the option of 1) getting on the SAG vehicle to return to the Inner Harbor or 2) or finishing the course off the road and on the sidewalks as a pedestrian.
- As a courtesy to runner participants, we ask that walkers not be more than two abreast so runners can easily pass.
Wave Start: In order to maintain a comfortable and safe race experience for all participants, the CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield Half Marathon uses a wave start. Bib numbers will be issued based on expected finish time and will correspond to the holding pen you have been assigned. There will be five (5) holding pens and we ask that all participants adhere to this policy and start with their assigned wave. Please keep in mind that with the B-Tag system, your time will not start until you cross the start line.
Charity Groups: The Baltimore Running Festival welcomes charity groups to utilize the event to fund raise and raise awareness of their cause. For more information on charity groups and the requirements involved, visit our Run for a Cause page or email [email protected].
Packet Pick Up
In 2020, we’ll ship virtual participants their Under Armour shirt and collectible Crack the Crab finisher medal with unique opening shell design. Our target shipment date is prior to Oct. 17, 2020 (no additional charge; USPS tracking # to be provided)
Once we return to a live event in 2021, runners can expect the following:
All runners are required to pick up their packets at the Health & Fitness Expo on Thursday or Friday prior to race day. The expo is located at the Baltimore Convention Center. For more details, click here.
THERE IS NO RACE DAY PACKET PICK UP. Please plan accordingly.
The 2020 virtual race will be self-timed. You will have the opportunity to print a race bib and report your finish time into the official race results.
Once we return to a live event in 2020 runners can expect the following:
The event will continue to utilize the best timing technology available. The B-tag technology offers runners a streamlined race experience with timing tags attached to participant bib. This method eliminates the need to scan your chip at the expo or to return the chip following the race, which means no more sitting down to undo your shoe lace just after your run and you no longer have to worry about a charge for a lost chip.
Tips to have your time accurately recorded:
- Race bib is clearly visible on the front of the torso
- Race bib is unaltered and unmodified (do not fold or wrinkle)
- Race bib is pinned in all four corners
- Race bib is not covered (jackets, runner belts, water bottles, etc.)
Our wonderful medical partner Medstar Sports Health is there for you, even during your virtual race. Learn more HERE.
Once we return to a live event, MedStar Sports Health will provide medical support on the course and in the finish line area. The MedStar staff will include certified doctors, registered nurses, physician assistants and EMTs and will provide the necessary medical attention to any patient in need. We are grateful to have MedStar Sports Health associated with the event.
We encourage you to plan out your hydration program when running the 2020 event virtually. Gatorade Endurance Formula is available in 34 ounce and 24 ounce sport bottles at major grocery and convenience stores nationwide, and Gatorade Endurance Formula powder is available at specialty athletic stores and at www.gatorade.com/endurance.
Hüma is the Official Race Gel and is available for your virtual run at https://humagel.com/
Gatorade Endurance Formula (Lemon-Lime flavor) will be served at each aid station along the course of this year’s race. Gatorade Endurance Formula is a specialized sports drink that contains approximately twice the amount of sodium (200 mg per 8 ounces) of Gatorade Thirst Quencher, along with chloride, potassium, magnesium and calcium to help sustain hydration by more fully replacing what is lost in sweat. Gatorade Endurance Formula also contains a 6% carbohydrate solution (14 grams per 8 ounces), just like Gatorade Thirst Quencher, which research shows is optimal to help speed fluid back into the body and fuel working muscles. Gatorade Endurance Formula is available in 34 ounce and 24 ounce sport bottles at major grocery and convenience stores nationwide, and Gatorade Endurance Formula powder is available at specialty athletic stores and at www.gatorade.com/endurance.
HUMA: OUR OFFICIAL RACE GEL
The Baltimore Running Festival has a new partner! Hüma is the Official Race Gel of the event and will provide gels for free at the two on-course locations during the full marathon.
Due to the nature of the time yourself element, there will be no age group awards awarded during the 2020 virtual race. However those who register will be eligible for random prize giveaways throughout the training period on our social media pages as well as in the packet mailing when we will give away hundreds of free or discounted entries as well as other prizes and deals from our sponsors.
Once we return to a live event, runners can expect the following:
Overall Winners: Trophies will be awarded to the overall male and female finishers as well as to the and the second and third place finisher.
Awards Ceremony: The Awards Ceremony will take place at the Main Stage in West Shore Park at 12:00pm. Only the Overall Winners from the full marathon, half marathon, team relay, and Balti-Moron will be awarded at the ceremony. Age group awards will be mailed. (5K Awards Ceremony will be at 9:00am).
Age Groups Prizes: Prizes go to the top three male and female age group finishers for the half-marathon in each of the following divisions: 16 and under, 17-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75 +.
Age group awards are mailed in November after race results are declared official.
NO DUPLICATION OF AWARDS
Disclaimer: We will not ship age group awards internationally
Past Age Group Awards
Age Group Awards are engraved key chains.